FedEx video helps catch Texas bomber


US broadcaster CBS is reporting that surveillance video from a FedEx Office store in South Austin, Texas assisted FBI and local Texas law enforcement officers “zero in on the person of interest who is now reportedly dead” in the hunt for a bomber who had caused the deaths of a young girl and a teenage orchestra star in the package bomb blasts that rocked Austin, Texas over recent days.

The news comes hours after FedEx confirmed that a package detonated at a San Antonio FedEx Ground facility early on Tuesday morning local time and that the individual responsible also shipped a second package that had been secured and turned over to law enforcement.

FedEx says: “One team member is being treated for minor injuries. We are working closely with law enforcement in their investigation. We are not providing any additional specific information about this package at this time.

“We are thankful that there were no serious injuries from this criminal activity.  We have provided law enforcement responsible for this investigation extensive evidence related to these packages and the individual that shipped them collected from our advanced technology security systems. The safety and security measures in place across the FedEx networks are designed to protect the safety of our people, customers and communities, and to assist law enforcement as appropriate.”

Early on Wednesday morning, local time, CBS reported that Austin Police sources told them that the Austin bombing suspect “is dead after an officer-involved shooting on I-35 in Round Rock, Texas.”

Austin Police chief Brian Manley announced in a press conference early Wednesday morning that the suspect had killed himself after being encountered by police on Interstate 35 in Round Rock. In the previous 24 to 36 hours after multiple tips, a person of interest under investigation became a suspect — a 24-year-old white man who has not yet been identified. His car had been spotted at a hotel in Round Rock. After a chase, the suspect crashed his car then detonated a bomb inside, killing himself.